Tuesday 15 November 2011

Character Project!!

  Right then, so today we received our new brief, which is to create a high poly model in Mudbox of a pre-designed character. The character should ideally not have been made in 3D before but this is negotiable (it's more for our own sake than anything). I thought of countless characters that I would love to do as this is generally something that anybody would want to do, recreate a character of their choice, so the possibilities were as good as endless. A really good one I thought of doing was Colonel Commissar Ibram Gaunt from the Gaunt's Ghosts novels (If you haven't read them you should check them out) or generally any character from the Warhammer 40,000 universe as there are countless really cool characters with beautiful supporting artwork. I thought however that doing a human, although obviously great practice, wouldn't do wonders for my showreel, seeing as I already have one and have more on the way with the major project. With the major project these characters will obviously be of a fantasy/medieval style so that also ruled that theme out for this project.

  And then, I recalled some awesome artwork I saw on CGhub a few month's back. Dave Rapoza has been going through a stage of re-imagining various characters from a load of 90's kids tv shows. I decided to go for one of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that he did. Seeing as how this would be from a re-imagining of the turtles I'm guessing it would be okay due to the fact that there has been a few cg incarnations of the turtles before but they were obvioulsy based straight off of one of the tv series'. It's the gritty realism that Rapoza has captured with his concepts that drew me towards them and generally the fact that they all look badass.

Anyway, here's where I'm at so far in terms of research, there obviously isnt the need for too much seein as the character has already been designed. I have made a start on the model but I'll wait until I've worked on it a bit longer before sticking it up here. Oh and by the way, I think I'll be doing Michelangelo buuut I guess it's really just a matter of a quick colour change at the end between them, so we'll see.







No comments:

Post a Comment