Sunday 5 December 2010

Time to start??

 Well, our major project this year is pretty complicated and involves a whole bunch of paths to chose from such as VFX and the like. I've chosen to head along the Game Art route though and do some modelling.

I don't exactly want to get too involved with game engines (for the moment at least) but instead I'm going to do some modelling for games, but just bare in mind that it would need to run in an engine if this were the real deal. This involves taking into account low poly counts and normal mapping. I've still researched into both the Unreal and Source engines so that I have more of an idea what I'm dealing with.

 I initially had an idea to model a character and a section of environment for an idea I had for a game. It was growing up to be a survival/horror with elements of rpg, taking place within a military quarantine zone in some city in the U.S. The player would have to rely on stealth and scavenging while they fortified a safehouse and rounded up other members of the public that hadn't been killed by the 'infected'. Enemies would be '28 Days Later' style virus victims, hence the quarantine.

 Anyway, enough of that. Seeing as I wouldn't be importing these models into an engine and getting involved with that side of things I decided to go with designing some slightly more interesting ideas. I now intend to design and model a character and mech-type vehicle, still bearing in mind the requirements of game modelling.

 Well I'm going to get cracking and do some drawing and see where that takes me. Once I've made a bit of progress in that area I'll post some images so you can see how it's coming along. Exactly who I mean by 'you', I have no idea whatsoever. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment